Overdrive using Chromebook
You can use the OverDrive app to borrow and enjoy eBooks and audiobooks.
Set up the OverDrive app
- Install the OverDrive app from the Chrome Web Store. The first time you open the app, you'll be prompted to sign in.
- To sign in, use the 14-digit number located on the back of your library card (no spaces). Your PIN is the last 4 digits of the phone number you used to sign up for your card. Note: You do not need to create an account with OverDrive. Your library card number and pin are all you need.
- In the app, select the icon in the top-left corner to open the Home menu and see your library list.
- Select a library from your list to open its OverDrive website. If your list is empty, or you want to add a new library, select Manage libraries, then + in the top-right corner. For Allen Public Library, type 75013 in the search box and click search.
- Select Allen Public Library and then tap the star next to the library name to save it to your library list.
- Tap the library name to open the Allen Public Library OverDrive website and start browsing.
Borrow and enjoy
- In the OverDrive website, find an available title and select Borrow. Or, tap the title's jacket to open its details page (where you can read a description, borrow the title, and more). If prompted, sign in (refer to step 2 above).
- If you borrow a title from the details page, the Borrow button will change to show options for how to enjoy the title on your device. This could be adding the title to the OverDrive app or opening it in your browser.
- Go to your Loans page (under My Account > Loans) to see all of your option for borrowed titles. From there, you can:
- App only (not in the browser): Select Add to app to add an eBook to your bookshelf in the OverDrive app. If the eBook comes in multiple downloadable formats, select Choose a format, then select EPUB eBook to add it to the OverDrive app. Note: You can only choose one downloadable format for each eBook.
- App only (not in the browser): Select Add to app to add an audiobook to your bookshelf in the OverDrive app.
- Select Choose a format, then Kindle Book (U.S. only) to complete checkout on Amazon's website and send a book to your Kindle Cloud Reader or Kindle device. (Amazon account required.)
- Select Read now to open an eBook in a new tab in your browser (Chrome), without downloading it to the OverDrive app.
- Select Listen now to open an audiobook in a new tab in your browser (Chrome), without downloading it to the OverDrive app.